I've learned them in Chinese class, but still a bit confused,

看 means see, but what is the difference between 看到 and 看过?

I think it's easier if you think of 看 as look rather than see (e.g. 给我看一下: let me have a look.) It does not mean the verb resulted, because you can also not see (it, anything, etc.): 看不到

Then you can think of 看到 or 看见 as see (as in, you're looking and you can see it. The 到/见 is resultative, you have achieved your goal.) e.g. 我看到你的钥匙在桌子上: I saw your keys on the table.)

看过 is simply that you have looked in the past, like you have read a book previously (我看过那本书)

Another 结果补语 (resultative complement) is 完 (finished looking [reading]) like 我昨晚看完这本书 (Last night I finished reading this book.)

Another example of the 完 resultative complement is in 吃完了 (finished eating.)

You can see how these resultative complements work with other things, too, like 听:

听: to listen (but you might not be hearing anything, you're listening out for something)

听到/听见: to hear (you can actually hear something)

听不到: cannot hear

You can research 结果补语 (resultative complement) for more information (there are many forms.)

看到

see sth at sometime(past, present, future), examples:

我刚才看到奥巴马了.
I saw the President Obama just now.
你将会看到太阳升起.
you will see sunrise tommorrow.  

看过

have seen sth in the past, examples:

我看过电影《星际迷航》.
I have seen the 'star trek'.

any question, ask me.

看过•To have seen before

I've seen that movie before. 我看过那个电影了。 Wǒ kànguo nàge diànyǐng le.

看到•to see

I can't see 看不到

>

拐个弯儿就可以看到村子了。 Guǎi ge wānr jiù kěyǐ kàndào cūnzi le. The village will come into view at the next turn.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.