I ran into a book talking about the difference of pronouncing 翁 in Mainland China and Taiwan differently. But it is still confusing to me. My questions are:

What is the difference of pronouncing 翁 in Mainland China and Taiwan?

How to pronounce 翁 in Mainland China and Taiwan?

• Can you post what that book says about this in your question? I'm unaware that there is a difference. – Semaphore Jun 28 '14 at 13:16
    @Semaphore yes there's a minor difference. I feel Taiwanese people pronounce it like wēong; and the mainland people, a "pure" wēng. – Stan Jun 28 '14 at 13:28
  • In Mainland China it is spelled as 'weng', and in Taiwan it is 'wong' – user4457 Jun 28 '14 at 13:36
  • I believe the Pinyin spelling “weng” instead of “ong” is irrelevant to its pronunciation, merely in an attempt to reduce the need of apostrophe ('). – Yang Muye Jun 28 '14 at 14:43

This concerns a mid-back vowel pair of [ɤ]/[o] (in IPA symbol), where [ɤ] is unrounded and [o] rounded. In today's mandarin in China, it's unrounded; in taiwan, it is sometimes rounded and sometimes unrounded, depending on the preceding consonant. If the preceding consonant is labial then pinyin o is the rounded [o], otherwise the unrounded [ɤ]. The Taiwanese pronunciation was also the older mandarin pronunciation and can still be heard in many regions' accents in China, but not in today's standard mandarin any more.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.