When I see the radical being used in 洗 and 凉 in some books or even sougou. They break it up into a broken radical that looks nothing like it.


Is it one of those things that are related only to computers and I should just ignore the difference?

enter image description here

  • 1
    As Chinese I can't see anything special. What do you mean by "break it up into a broken radical"? What is the unbroken version of it?
    – Stan
    Jul 1, 2014 at 14:25
  • Just font issues I would imagine...
    – Mou某
    Jul 1, 2014 at 14:46
  • In the character 洗 the water radical goes up cleanly in a stroke, on my PC it often looks like 3 little stripes. I have been taught to write it differently. Wonder if my language settings were wrong or if I should care that it looks different. On the pic the radical just looks very different. Maybe it's nothing and just font like you say.
    – aury
    Jul 1, 2014 at 14:52
  • 5
    Oh you mean the last stroke of . It is called 提(Ti), see this wiki page. In calligraphy, one can 顿笔 (press down the pen) first and then "flick it up and rightwards" -- that's how your second picture is written -- and it is counted only one stroke. However you can simply just write "3 little stripes", that's also OK.
    – Stan
    Jul 1, 2014 at 15:17
  • 1
    Hi @Stan ahh yes, I also seem to recall that in Japanese 茶 is missing the 钩. I totally forgot it was a character set thing too. Cheers :)
    – Ming
    Jul 2, 2014 at 3:21

3 Answers 3


As others have commented, it is just another font. I would say just ignore it and as a learner, stick to the standard one for now, which is like three short strokes on the left. It would make more sense if we look into the origin of water character in Chinese: 水 (shui3). The pictographic form for 水 (shui3) looks like a river flow, which gradually evolved into the three strokes as the radical form for water character in Chinese: 水 (shui3).


There are many glyphs for Chinese characters, for example,

Some glyphs for character "洗"


You can just ignore the difference between print fonts and handwriting font. It's in the same way that we don't write the letter 'g' (by hand) like the way we print it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.