I know that a couple of variation of "coding" or programming are 编程, or 写代码. How would I refer to that person who does the coding/programming? Is it 编程家? or is there a more colloquial way of saying it?

Dialect note: the Taiwanese term for programmers is usually 軟體工程師. But a more colloquial way is referring to someone as 寫程式的, i.e. 周小姐是寫程式的.
    – Semaphore
    Jul 22, 2014 at 15:13

7 Answers 7

编程家 sounds weird. You can say:

程序员
程序猿 (for male)
程序媛 (for female)
编程人员
码农 (junior programmer without future, often used for self-mockery)
挨踢(IT)民工 (similar to 码农)
    haha I like 程序猿, Homo programmatis under the class of homo zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Sky6t/program-ape Jul 22, 2014 at 14:20
    Would 程序猿 be the equivalent of code monkey, the somewhat derogatory English term?
    – Cocowalla
    Jul 23, 2014 at 7:56
  • @Cocowalla Yes, I think so. It's code monkey.
    – user4072
    Jul 23, 2014 at 8:12

程序员 is widely used in China as “programmer”。

软件工程师(軟件工程師) should be a good one.

• This is what I normally say (or the Taiwanese variant 軟體工程師) Oct 20, 2014 at 13:36
    This means 'software engineer', not 'programmer'.
    – imrek
    Dec 4, 2015 at 19:29
  • Isn't this "software engineer", not "programmer"?
    – Blaszard
    Jul 24, 2017 at 18:00

程序员 is the widely used word. In most company, including the one I'm currently working in, people use 程序 to call 程序员, some kinda in short. 主程: LP/ Chief Programmer. A funny version is 程序猿[code monkey]. 猿(yuan2) is gorilla. Also, 码农[a programmer who gets low salary],程序媛[female code monkey](媛 means girl).

• Sean, I've heard that 码农 isn't that often used/is 网络语。 Do you think I should ever use it when speaking as a joke? Like 我以后想当一个码农。
    – Stephen
    Jul 23, 2014 at 10:27
    You can but it sounds weird. We often call ourselves(who are already coders) 码农 (as a joke of course). See this self sarcasm: 人家敲代码几年都成男神高富帅了,我特么还是一码农/屌丝程序猿。(And I am the 屌丝程序猿 :P)
    – Sean C.
    Jul 23, 2014 at 11:08
  • Oh awesome - so, I could probably use it if I was a computer science student as well though/considered myself a programmer
    – Stephen
    Jul 23, 2014 at 14:09

you can say '程序员'

EG: 程序员总是有着相同的风格 Programmer alway has same style of wear.

I've also heard 程序设计师 (设计师 = designer, architect).

You can use 程序员, 程序师, or 程序设计师 (设计师 means architect/designer and 程序 means a program).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.