I did a quick search and have found:

姓名: 约瑟翰 庞麦郎 英文名: Joseeh Punmanlon

I know it is supposed to be like "Snoop Dogg," "Buddy Guy" or something like that. But I'm still very curious on if that would have any meaning or cultural reference? Something a non-native Chinese wouldn't understand?

And what about the "English name" part, is that just a loose transliteration? If that's the case I'd think "Yosehan Pamelo" to be a better alternative, very "mid-aged-Brooklyn-mafia-member-ish"....

• 约瑟翰 looks and sounds very Biblical. 约瑟 means Joseph and 翰 is very reminiscent of John (约翰) : I would translate it as Johnseph (but you can see how Joseeh came about).
    – Mou某
    Jul 24, 2014 at 3:04

3 Answers 3

Oh, it is Joe the big wheatman!

Joking aside, Pang Mailang seems to be his real name, while Yuesehan is more like an artistic nickname, like "Joseph".

• "artistic nickname" you mean like stage name?
    – nicobili
    Jul 24, 2014 at 1:55
  • In one of his interviews he said 庞麦郎 is just part of his stage name. He said he chose this name because he want to "释放自己", but he didn't state how. Judging by how he talks he doesn't seem to possess the ability to come out with a meaningful English name. Dec 3, 2014 at 8:38

It doesn't mean anything.

There is a rule for English-Chinese name translation. You can google it.

Some names might vary from places like Taiwan, Hongkong, etc.

e.g. Madonna is 麦当娜 in mainland, 玛丹娜 in Tawiwan and Hongkong.

• But this guy is a Chinese singer, how can his name be an translation from English to Chinese and not the other way around?
    – nicobili
    Jul 24, 2014 at 1:07
  • His Chinese name is 庞麦郎 while he named himself 约瑟翰 庞麦郎 as an international name. About his Chinese name, I don't see any evident sense. 麦郎 is not a word.@nicobili
    – Sean C.
    Jul 24, 2014 at 1:16
    When translating Chinese names to English, there are usually two ways: 1.Hongkong-style spelling. 2.Pingyin. But there is an additional way some people might take, which is to spell in a Western style(similar pronounciation). My name is 玄/Xuan and I named myself Sean, in the 3rd way. My surname is 张/Zhang and In english I write Cheung, Which is in Hongkong Style.@nicobili
    – Sean C.
    Jul 24, 2014 at 1:23
  • Thank you but I'm still quite confused. So are you saying that basically his Chinese name is straight nonsense, which makes the English characters transliterated also nonsense?
    – nicobili
    Jul 24, 2014 at 1:44
  • @nicobili yes. Not all Chinese names make sense.
    – Sean C.
    Jul 24, 2014 at 1:46

I kinda like his name after you give the mixed messages to it.

But I think he just a 逗逼。Just check his lyrics, it just sh--.He become pop because of funny, nothing with music.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.