I'm trying to figure out if you ever use 个 when describing distances or weight. For example, people say "十公里“ NOT "十个公里“ - right? does the same apply for weights? like 公斤?

No, in general, you shall not use 个 before a unit, no matter what the unit is used for (mass, length,area etc ). 个 is a counter/measure word in Chinese, one of whose functions is to count something, like a unit, so you don't need to put a unit before a unit. In some weird scenarios, you may use 个 before a unit.for example,

本文中有几个公斤? How many occurrences of "kilogram" in the article ?

Here, kilogram itself is treated as a common word instead of a unit.

• Good explanation, but the example sounds artificial - in real life scenario it would be phrased differently to avoid any possible ambiguity, e.g. 本文中公斤一词出现了几次. – NS.X. Jul 28 '14 at 5:54
  • @ns.x Yes, it's constructed by me on purpose. That's why I say "weird". – Huang Jul 29 '14 at 14:05

Yes, in some special cases.

Formally, the construction should be numeral + quantifier + noun, such as:

你今天打算跑几公里路?
我打算跑5公里路。

If can be deduced from the context, it could be omitted:

你今天打算跑几公里?
我打算跑5公里。

And in spoken language, it could be transformed to an "odd" construction of numeral + quantifier + noun further, in which 公里 is regarded as a noun.

你今天打算跑几个公里?
我打算跑5个公里。

Here's another example:

你家卧室有几个平方?
也就10个平方吧。

Anyway, this usage is very limited, for example, you can use it for the quantifier , it's unnatural.

鸡蛋你打算买几个斤?
买5个斤。
  • No. In Chinese we use quantifiers only before objects. And units can be used as quantifier. 几个公里 is ridiculous, which I never saw anyone use. But as to 一个平方, it's an exception. So is 一个立方. I don't suggest using these exceptions, which probably confuse Chinese learners. – Sean C. Jul 28 '14 at 4:19
  • @SeanC. I can't summarize the grammar explicitly and clearly even though I'm a native Chinese, all I can say is these exceptions exist in the Chinese, especially in spoken language. I know it probably confuse Chinese learners, I just want they know it is used by Chinese, and when they hear them somewhere they won't be confused. – user4072 Jul 28 '14 at 4:30
  • @SeanC. BTW, you can find many samples of 几个公里 at Baidu. baidu.com/… – user4072 Jul 28 '14 at 5:06
  • Usually we say "你今天打算跑多少公里?" – Henry HO Jul 28 '14 at 6:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.