Are there words for relative pronouns, for example:

The man, who was walking to the shop, was tall.

Is there a Chinese word for the bolded "who"?

  • thank you. I am copy editing a text written by a native speaker of Chinese in English and noticing how awkward the constructions are that require relational terms. Normally seems to be resolved by repetition of the subject in separate sentences. I have no prior knowledge of Chinese grammar but began to wonder!
    – Eleanor H
    Commented Jun 15, 2019 at 0:46

2 Answers 2


In English, when you say "something/someone, who/which has some characters, is abc/is doing xyz.", after translated to Chinese, usually it will be "some characters的something/someone is abc/is doing xyzor separate to two sentence, "something/someone has some character, (optional: 而且/and) is abc/is doing xyz."

In your sample, in addition to @user3919509's answer, you can also say "那个正往店铺走的男子很高". Since "The man" could be anyone, in this case you want to add "該名/那个". In another case, if everybody knows the man, say, we have his name, it will be little different. For example, "Tom, who is working in a big company, has two kids", you can say "汤姆在一个大公司工作,有两个小孩。“

Hope this helps.

  • So basically Chinese doesn't have them in the sense that English does?
    – theK_S
    Commented Aug 13, 2014 at 17:14
  • 1
    @KevinSang yes, you are correct.
    – dumduke
    Commented Aug 13, 2014 at 17:15
  • Internet points for you
    – theK_S
    Commented Aug 13, 2014 at 17:16
  • @kevin similar grammatical structure exists in Japanese as well. Commented Aug 14, 2014 at 12:37

The sentence can be interpret as:


Where 該名 will be 'who' in the sentence


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.