Came across this, old(?), term today: 劝合不劝散.

A quick baidu gives me a lot of variants on this term though:

劝合不劝离

劝合不劝分

And

劝和不劝散

劝和不劝分

劝和不劝离

I would imagine anything with 和 would be a more widely accepted variant, than those with 合.

But is there a most widely accepted term among the whole 散、分、离 group?

Vote for 劝合不劝离. – songyuanyao Sep 4 '14 at 10:24
    和 means peace .以和为贵 – wolfrevo Sep 4 '14 at 11:21

Quick googling gives:

+"劝合不劝散" -"劝合不劝离" -"劝合不劝分" -"劝和不劝散" -"劝和不劝分" -"劝和不劝离" = 698

-"劝合不劝散" +"劝合不劝离" -"劝合不劝分" -"劝和不劝散" -"劝和不劝分" -"劝和不劝离" = 11500

-"劝合不劝散" -"劝合不劝离" +"劝合不劝分" -"劝和不劝散" -"劝和不劝分" -"劝和不劝离" = 10700

-"劝合不劝散" -"劝合不劝离" -"劝合不劝分" +"劝和不劝散" -"劝和不劝分" -"劝和不劝离" = 3160

-"劝合不劝散" -"劝合不劝离" -"劝合不劝分" -"劝和不劝散" +"劝和不劝分" -"劝和不劝离" = 25200

-"劝合不劝散" -"劝合不劝离" -"劝合不劝分" -"劝和不劝散" -"劝和不劝分" +"劝和不劝离" = 32500

• Care to explain a little I have no idea what any of that means.... – user3306356 Sep 5 '14 at 4:15
  • In Google, quoting "...." means exact match, "+" means "must exist" and "-" means "must not exist". – Henry HO Sep 6 '14 at 3:17
  • @user3306356 It simply says Google indexed "劝和不劝离" the most while "劝合不劝散" least. It may not fully explain the term (I did not hear this before either) but sure gives a picture on how people on the Internet use these terms. – Pete C. Oct 3 '14 at 22:38

I would like to say,劝合不劝散劝合不劝分 and 劝合不劝离 almost the same meaning.

And 合 is the opposite meaning of 离 and 散 .

Like a couples, we prefer they live together instead of 散 or 离

• That doesn't answer the question at all. I know they all have the same meaning, hence the word variants in the question. The meaning is, likewise, quite clear. The question is: is there an official, widely accepted one of the lot? – user3306356 Sep 4 '14 at 10:55

In these terms, I think 分 and 离 is more acceptable than 散.
usually used as a couple(not married) break up, means a married couple divorced.
while is much less used in my experience.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.