I"m trying to figure out how to say to "lose" as in to lose a member of a team or (in my case) a member of a club. For example, how would you translate, "this year my school's student council lost a couple of great representatives"

Would you use the term "输了几个很好的代表?”

is the opposite of win - not the lose you're looking for. 失去 or 丢失 would be more fitting. – Mo. Sep 22 '14 at 5:00

"输了几个很好的代表?” means a council gambled with their great representatives,then they lost.

"this year my school's student council lost a couple of great representatives"

今年,我们校学生会失去了几位出色的学生代表。

Most of the time,We can use 失去 for lost。but 失去 indicates some bad conditions. “What happend? politic conflicts or death”。

add an explanation.

今年,由于涉及到毕业,我们校学生会失去了几位出色的学生代表。

今年,由于毕业的关系,我们校学生会失去了几位出色的学生代表。

Edited: After more consideration, I think it is better to use either of the two。

失去 means something lost which you wish did not.If you were sorry for the reelection ,you could use 失去。

| improve this answer | |
  • So, if we lost them because of reelection (but I still think it is a bad thing) you would say “失去”? – Stephen Sep 22 '14 at 16:31
  • Also, what does "涉及 ” mean in this context? – Stephen Sep 22 '14 at 16:32
  • @Stephen 涉及 means involving, relating to, etc. in general. I would prefer the second example than the one with 涉及. – Pete C. Sep 26 '14 at 2:51
  • @Jacob We would use 失去 instead of useless there is a competition (a win/lose situation) for 2 groups to fight for their representatives. – Pete C. Sep 26 '14 at 2:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.