I've found the following sentence:

你是什么时候买的苹果?

However, I'm convinced that this sentence should be 你是什么时候买苹果的?.

Why does the sentence above require after ? What purpose does it function for?

• You can say 你什么买苹果? so if you put 是 in it ,you need to change 买 to a nonfinite verb。I don't know Chinese grammar,though I'm a native speaker. – wolfrevo Sep 22 '14 at 10:13

is used here for past tense.

你(是)什么时候买苹果的? -> When did you buy the apple?
你(是)什么时候买苹果? -> When will you buy the apple?

And 你是什么时候买的苹果? is same as 你是什么时候买苹果的?, but more oral.

• Is it possible to remove in both sentences? – Blaszard Sep 23 '14 at 18:08
    @Gardecolo Yes, and become more oral. – songyuanyao Sep 24 '14 at 2:00
  • are there any online documents confirming being"more oral","实用现代汉语语法" says nothing regarding "more oral",有没有线上文件会证实"的"出现在谓语动词之后,宾语之前更为"口头"的? – user6065 Aug 5 '15 at 1:58
  • @user6065 It's just my point of view, as a native Chinese... – songyuanyao Aug 5 '15 at 2:15

Both seem correct。实用现代汉语语法 available free on the web (http://book.douban.com/subject/1091176/)has a section titled "是。。。的"句 pp。762-784 discussing both possibilities。 In the introductory section 一,"是。。。的"句(一)的结构特点 there already are two examples (1),(3)with 的 at the end of the sentence,and two before the object as in the sentence in question, (2)我是在预售处买的票。 (4)今天中午我们是吃的饺子。

• +1 for 实用现代汉语语法. This is an outstanding grammar reference book – wpt Aug 5 '15 at 0:45
  • 遗憾地是,与上述答案相反,该课本不是免费提供的。 – user6065 Aug 6 '15 at 8:00

We don't put between and 苹果 but end of sentence to say When did you bought the apples?.

Also you can say 苹果是什么时候买的? to express When were the apples brought?

• The sentence above doesn't make sense...? It's from Rosetta Stone's example sentence... – Blaszard Sep 22 '14 at 12:21
  • I am from Hong Kong and we don't usually say that here. We usually use Cantonese here more than Mandarin. That is what I was taught anyway. – Pete C. Sep 23 '14 at 14:12
  • Thank you for the information. Although I've been learning about Mandarin, I'm more interested in Hong Kong, so it's good to know that. – Blaszard Sep 23 '14 at 18:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.