I want to say "Do not print this layer" in Chinese, as past of a photoshop file. How does one say "Layer" in the photoshop sense of the word in Chinese?

Google translate thinks the translation of "Do not print this layer" is: 不打印這一層

But I expect that there's a specific word used for photoshop that's not a literal translation of the English word "Layer".

  • '不打印這一層' not a complete phrase, seems like something missing there. '不打印這一層次' a better phrase for the native Mandarin speaker.
    – user592
    Commented Apr 1, 2012 at 22:54

3 Answers 3


层 is right. to be specified for layers in photoshop, it has the term 图层.

  • I deleted my answer because I think yours answer better, but I wonder why on this article on Chinatat.com and this other one at phpv.net, it seems 层 is enough?
    – Alenanno
    Commented Jan 18, 2012 at 20:27
  • Actually 层 already means layer. 图层 is an official term used in Photoshop's chinese version. literally 图层 == graphic layer
    – Fivesheep
    Commented Jan 18, 2012 at 20:43
  • Uhm... I'll undelete my answer then, but yours seems more precise anyway. You have a +1 from me. :)
    – Alenanno
    Commented Jan 18, 2012 at 20:45
  • In graphics application domain, such as Photoshop, AutoCAD,etc. , the term is 图层. When both of the listener and speaker know what they are taliking about, it can simply be "层"
    – Huang
    Commented Jan 19, 2012 at 2:36

Actually, the translations of many computer-related terms are shockingly literal from the American perspective.

Here's a whole list of all the Chinese menu items corresponding to layers and so on: http://expl.cpst.net.cn/esoft/2011_08/314772867.html

  • In all of the entries of that list, layer is written as "图层", so Fivesheep's post actually answers the question. But that is a nice resource anyway... :)
    – Alenanno
    Commented Jan 18, 2012 at 20:46
  • I wouldn't doubt that it's sometimes shortened to just 层. You know, just for our convenience as non-native speakers. ;-) Commented Jan 18, 2012 at 21:47
  • I often laugh when learning new computer-science terms at my job. Or really almost all 专业词. Commented Jun 20, 2012 at 17:22

The character used, according to my dictionary, seems to be 層 for traditional and 层 for simplified (céng).

Check this article on Chinatat.com, or this other one at phpv.net, I think they confirm that character.

Unfortunately, my level of Chinese doesn't allow me to formulate a sentence like the one you need. I'll ask some native speakers I know and get back at you.

  • After Photoshop (and its Chinese version) been used these many years in China, there is already and accepted translation, whether it is correct (redundant) or not. Even there exists a better one (it will be argued which is better), it will be hard to changed the accepted translation.
    – fefe
    Commented Jan 19, 2012 at 4:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.