In the following sentences:

有一天他会当医生
 有一天我会当经理

what does the mean? I think this means something like One day she would become a doctor. However, what kind of nuances does  include? Is it would be, would become, possible, or want to, or something others? How probable does the author think the noun after occur?

is necessary here, it means work as; serve as; be.

有一天    他  会    当          医生
One day   he  will  work as     a doctor.

As you see, without , the sentence does not make sense.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks. But my question is NOT whether I have to use or not; what I want to ask is what kind of nuance it includes. In the sentence, how probable will he work as a doctor? – Blaszard Sep 28 '14 at 2:30
    @Gardecolo has nothing to do with the probability, the sentence is just He will be a doctor. You can use some other words to emphasize the probability such as 肯定, 百分之百, 一定 before , or weaken the probability by 可能, 也许. – user4072 Sep 28 '14 at 2:44

In general,当 have two usages(and I think the understand you provided is right and integrity,I just need to give you some example) :) 1.## become, be ## 我当医生了。 Here,当is represent become, It is the present tense(the tense is related to '了',have nothing to do with 当) 2## would become, would be ## 有一天我会当医生. Cause of '有一天', 当 at here means would become,that is to say,he is not a doctor now,it is a wish,a hope. 3.## when ## 当天晴的时候我就去散步。 I will go for a walk when it is sunny.Here,当means when ,it is a time prep. 4.## face,confront ## 你不该当着他的面责备他。 You should't blame him in front of him. 当 at here is also a prep. For the question you asked'How probable does the author think the noun after 当 occur?' 有一天我会当医生。(I will become a doctor one day), the noun(医生or any other jobs) would happen nothing,it is the wish the speaker have, whether his dream could come true is depend on himself.

| improve this answer | |
  • I am sorry the form is a – user6453 Sep 28 '14 at 3:27
  • I am sorry the form is disorder,it was not like this when I edit them. :( – user6453 Sep 28 '14 at 3:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.