The follow is an except from 《水浒传》 第二回. Based on 端王's personality traits, he could have been a Shakespeare or, at least, a Balzac, or, perhaps, under favourable circumstances, a Galileo.

I wonder what exactly 门风 in 门风帮闲 means.

这端王乃是神宗天子第十一子,哲宗皇帝御弟,现掌东驾,排号九大王,是个聪明 俊俏人物。这浮浪子弟门风帮闲之事,无一般不晓,无一般不会,更无一般不爱。 即如琴、棋、书、画,无所不通,踢毬打弹,品竹调丝,吹弹歌舞,自不必说。

门风: family customary moral standards and way of life.

浮浪子弟: vagrant or unemployed persons, usually used for the people without a real job, just dawdling/playing everday.

So 浮浪子弟门风 refers to a life style, just screwing around, never get down to business.

帮闲, according to here, 帮闲者,替别人帮着打发百无聊赖的休闲时光. is help, is leisure, so 帮闲 means help someone to kill/waste time, here it means keep company with someone to dawdle and play.

| improve this answer | |

门风,门派的风气。 The rule of certain 帮派(gang,gaction)

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks, @Ping Tang. Somehow my gut feeling says it's a verb. – George Chen Oct 1 '14 at 2:57
  • Nope,similary,帮闲means帮派的闲事、杂事。Are you studying Chinese?We can help each other.I am studying Eng.. – Ping Tang Oct 1 '14 at 3:00
  • OK. That make sense. So both are nouns. I'm a native Chinese speaker too. In English, you find a master piece and learn it by heart, then your writing skill magically improves. I'm trying to the same thing with Chinese master pieces. – George Chen Oct 1 '14 at 3:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.