The follow is an except from 《水浒传》 第二回. Based on 端王's personality traits, he could have been a Shakespeare or, at least, a Balzac, or, perhaps, under favourable circumstances, a Galileo.

I wonder what exactly 门风 in 门风帮闲 means.

这端王乃是神宗天子第十一子,哲宗皇帝御弟,现掌东驾,排号九大王,是个聪明 俊俏人物。这浮浪子弟门风帮闲之事,无一般不晓,无一般不会,更无一般不爱。 即如琴、棋、书、画,无所不通,踢毬打弹,品竹调丝,吹弹歌舞,自不必说。

门风: family customary moral standards and way of life.

浮浪子弟: vagrant or unemployed persons, usually used for the people without a real job, just dawdling/playing everday.

So 浮浪子弟门风 refers to a life style, just screwing around, never get down to business.

帮闲, according to here, 帮闲者,替别人帮着打发百无聊赖的休闲时光. is help, is leisure, so 帮闲 means help someone to kill/waste time, here it means keep company with someone to dawdle and play.

门风,门派的风气。 The rule of certain 帮派(gang,gaction)

• Thanks, @Ping Tang. Somehow my gut feeling says it's a verb. Oct 1 '14 at 2:57
  • Nope,similary,帮闲means帮派的闲事、杂事。Are you studying Chinese?We can help each other.I am studying Eng..
    – Ping Tang
    Oct 1 '14 at 3:00
  • OK. That make sense. So both are nouns. I'm a native Chinese speaker too. In English, you find a master piece and learn it by heart, then your writing skill magically improves. I'm trying to the same thing with Chinese master pieces. Oct 1 '14 at 3:22

This site is temporarily in read only mode and not accepting new answers.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .