Just as the title says. I really have no idea how to translate the word "by" in this sense. It's just a form of grammar I've never even been exposed to, so I wouldn't know where to start. Anyone know how?

• May we have the whole sentence? – Henry HO Oct 7 '14 at 7:50
  • There was no whole sentence, this was a generic phrase I was trying to use to demonstrate the English use of "by" in this case. George Chen left a well-stated answer. – Jonson Oct 7 '14 at 21:55
  • Then, it would be easy to trap ourselves in clumsy or even ill-formed Chinese using word-wise translation. – Henry HO Oct 8 '14 at 3:36
  • I disagree with you there. I would argue that "by" in this sense is akin to a grammar pattern, not a "word-wise translation." This is in the sense that using "by" in this sense is similar in both languages in that there is a common one-word phrase which can encompass the use of such. – Jonson Oct 9 '14 at 18:51

通过假装...是真的的方式

By pretending the dinner is real, Peter and his friends forgot about hunger. 通过假装晚餐是真的的方式, 潘和他的朋友们忘掉了饥饿。

Or you can take a little liberty:

通过假装用晚餐的方式, 潘和他的朋友们忘掉了饥饿。

• Perhaps 透过 instead of 通过? – Andrew Kozak Oct 6 '14 at 0:00
  • @AndrewKozak - That's fine. I heard people from Taiwan speak like that. – George Chen Oct 6 '14 at 0:06
  • Or ... "彼得和朋友們以假晚飯忘卻饑餓." – Henry HO Oct 7 '14 at 9:26

I think I've found similar grammar that I do know how to use: 通过。 So I've just replaced all instances of this sort of "by" with "through." Seems to have identical meaning in English, so I'm fine with this.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.