When I go to my favorite restaurant, I often order the same thing. I order in Chinese and apparently I've become predictable. How can I ask an equivalent (not necessarily equal) phrase of "am I so predictable?"

Google translate gives a literal translation that may sound awkward (I'm not sure).

難道我的預測?

Is there a set-phrase that is often used to express this idea?

• In general X-able is translated as 可X. One can thus say 我就这么可/好预测吗? for am I so predictable?, which is grammatical correct but still sounds very non-native. Some native ways to say this are, I suppose, 我要点什么就这么好猜/有规律吗?, 所以你又知道我要点什么了吗?, etc. – user58955 Oct 20 '14 at 15:12

The other answers covered the translation part. I am going to give my two cents on the culture side.

Is there a set-phrase that is often used to express this idea?

I don't think so, because traditionally Chinese don't really respond that way. If someone is 'predicting' your order, he's really saying 'I know what you like' as a gesture of intimacy, friendliness or at least, care. A positive response is usually along the line with 'exactly', 'you really know me', 'it's a pleasant surprise that you remembered', etc. I am not quite sure what subtext does 'am I so predictable' convey in English speaking culture, but a verbatim translation in Chinese doesn't sound very positive when used as a response to that 'predicting' conversation. Considering how uniformity, agreement and tacit understanding were valued in traditional Chinese culture, 'am I so predictable' might sound fun or sexy to some listeners, but it might be perceived as rejection, a perverse personality or a bad mood to some other listeners, depending on their social role and culture belief. I am not saying you shouldn't respond that way, just a reminder of how it could be received differently from your intention.

Some simple, low-key positive acknowledgements:

• 没错 (exactly)
  • 你猜对了 (your guess is right)
  • 你都记住了 (you remembered!)
  • Thanks, this is exactly the kind of insight I need. Can you provide a positive response that works in this case; such as "you really know me..." (would that be 真的了解我?) -- The context is what makes this my most valuable answer. – Tommie C. Oct 20 '14 at 19:03
  • @TommieC. You can say something as simple as '没错', '你猜对了'. I am still not sure what you want to express though - just a positive acknowledgement or do you want to lead the conversation into something? – NS.X. Oct 20 '14 at 19:19
  • I'd like to have a fairly low-key positive response where I just acknowledge the fact that they remember me. There is no particular direction after that. The other person might come away with the fact that I find it a bit amusing. – Tommie C. Oct 20 '14 at 19:22
  • @TommieC. Got it. Answer updated. – NS.X. Oct 20 '14 at 19:26

我就這麼好猜嗎? (Am I so predictable?)

我有這麼好猜嗎? (Have I so predictable?)

難道我的預測? (Maybe my forecast?)

--

We always put 真的 and 是 together, but there's no really answer,

it's just an habit(?), so it should be 我點的菜"真的是"經常一樣嗎?

You can use 我點的菜真的是經常一樣嗎? It means "Am I always ordering the same thing?".

The Google Translate one translated back to English means "Really, my predictions?".

• another suggestion:我点什么菜如此预料之中? – user6065 Oct 20 '14 at 15:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.