Questions tagged [yale-romanization]

The Yale romanizations are four systems created at Yale University for romanizing the four East Asian languages of Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean, and Japanese. The Yale romanization for Mandarin was created during World War II for use by United States military personnel, while the Yale romanization systems for the other three languages were created later, in the 1960s and 1970s.

Filter by
Sorted by
Tagged with
2 votes
4 answers

How do I type 𨳒 on a keyboard?

I am using the Google Cantonese Input and Google Pinyin Input on my phone and cannot find a way to type 𨳒. Even when I switch to the handwriting method, 𨳒 does not come up as an option and I get ...
Peter's user avatar
  • 123
4 votes
1 answer

Yale tone marks and low-level 'h' for vowel-less syllables

For tone-marked Yale, the tone mark goes over the first vowel and then (for tones 4,5,6) an 'h' is placed after the last vowel. But what about the syllables without any vowels: hm, hng, m, ng ? I'm ...
gaozhen's user avatar
  • 73
1 vote
1 answer

Typing Yale Romanization

I learned Cantonese using Yale Romanization, but I'm unable to type it easily because of the accent marks representing the tones. Is there a quick and easy way to do this without using a special ...
Zann Anderson's user avatar
3 votes
2 answers

Cantonese Romanization schemes

The Cantonese romanization scheme that I know is Yale Romanization, which to me makes the most sense and is the easiest to read of any that I've seen. It seems to give a very good idea of how to ...
Zann Anderson's user avatar