I'd just like to add some more examples. If you're like me, it takes more than one example to get a non-superficial understanding.
To be [some role]
永远做人民的保护神![src]
Forever be the people's guardian angel
做老师简直太难了![src]
To be a teacher [is] simply difficult!
别再花钱去理发店做造型了![src]
Don't again spend money going to the hairdressers to be a model
射手座真的适合做爱人吗?[src]
Is [a] Sagittarius really suitable to be a lover?
To be a [something]
其实我不想做一个虚伪的人[src]
In fact, I don't want to be a hypocritical person
如何做一个人见人爱的好媳妇?[src]
How to be a loved-by-all good daughter-in-law?
别胡思乱想了,做一头猪吧[src]
Don't let your imagination run wild, [and] be a pig
在故宫做一只猫,是什么样的一种感受?[src]
In the Forbidden City, to be a cat, is what kind of feeling?
(Or: What does it feel like to be a cat in the Forbidden City?)
Cannot be [some role]
做不成男女朋友 可以做兄妹吗?[src]
[If we] cannot be boyfriend and girlfriend, can we be older brother and younger sister?
为什么做不成恋人,也做不成朋友?[src]
Why [we] cannot be sweethearts, [and] also cannot be friends
做不了自己的主人,就会成为别人的道具[src]
[If you] cannot be your own master, [you] become another person's prop
Cannot be a [something]
是什么阻止了你,做不成一个勤俭持家的人?[src]
What is preventing you; cannot be a hardworking housekeeping person?
你注定做不成一只树懒[src]
I am destined to not be a sloth
572巴士车上,我做不了一只独立特行的猪?[src]
On the 572 bus, I cannot be an independent-behavior pig.